TYPICAL MISTAKES AND ACTIONS OF BEGINNING REFEREES
Below we show some often-happen mistakes of referees and the practical advices which will help to create the professional habits for the referees. It is necessary these requirements be used in the practical officiating.
1. The lead referee — do not show a quantity of free throws whilst staying on the base line.
2. The lead referee — do not meet offence, whilst running forward by your back.
3. For the good feeling of the sizes of court and sport hall, floor (sizes, benches, table of officials, scoreboard) just walk around it, around boundary lines, looking at the court at different angles.
4. Always — control the throwing — in of ball to the game from out of bounds, standing a little behind and by the side of the thrower — his feet, ball, and also the players, who may obtain ball or prevent obtaining ball.
5. For the gestures – during calling a foul it is necessary to make it clear to which player it is given, by using a palm but not finger.
6. The areas of your responsibility — this is the boundary post which to you is fixed by mechanics of officiating. At the same time when it is necessary to protect justice of the game and you are assured in this by 100%, your solution must be sound without the dogmatic standards of mechanics. You will help game and partners!
7. The lead referee does not stand right under the basket. The motions of feet must help eyes to improve the viewing angles of the changing game situations.
8. When the ball goes out of bounds, especially for the base line, do not turn your head from the game and after the whistle continue to control the situation on the court.
9. Good (right) position for the referee who is responsible for the throwing – in, if ball is thrown in from out of bounds and if attack is carried out in the front court; or if game goes on from back court to front court.
10. With fast break or the rapid (fast) offense you must try to occupy position on the base line early, try not to assess the game from the side and from behind.
11. The gestures of communication with table officials must not be shown whilst you are moving – the following scheme is acceptable: rapid (quick) exit for the connection with the secretary — stoppage – demonstration procedure — the rapid change of position with partners (if necessary).
12. Control of substitutions procedure (by whistle, by gesture) until the players become substitutions and substitutions become players.
13. Referees must remember (time limit periods): substitution — as fast as possible; injury — 15 seconds; 5th foul — 30 seconds.
14. There is no need — when the successful three points shot is made – to show it directly to the scorer and turn your body away from the game.
15. Checking of bracelets, rings, long nails, large pins during warmup of the teams.
16. Algorithm of decision with fouls: FOUL — NUMBER of PLAYER (“WHO?”) — NATURE of FOUL (“WHAT?») — (“WHERE?”) — PLACE AND BALL — PUNISHMENT.
17. The lead referee does not show the basket counted to the scorer.
18. It is very important to fix by whistle the first incorrect action of player but not reaction to this action. (ACTION, NOT REACTION!)
19. The force of whistle varies, and depends on the behavior of player, violation, fouls, substitution, etc.
20. Requirement for the gestures – must be clear, with the large amplitude, visual, official, usually in the static position.
21. Algorithm during the fixation of travelling – BALL — THE FEET OF OFFENDER WITH THE BALL – POSITION AND FEET OF DEFENDER.
22. Three seconds violation is not fixed with gestures – fingers counting each second.
23. Game finished with the signing of score-sheet.
24. Lead referee does not look at the flight of ball during the shot.
25. Lead referee does not locate close to the base line.
26. Nervous motions and gestures.
27. Control the team bench areas.
28. Fear to fix technical or unsportsmanlike fouls if it is necessary.